We take the role of music in our daily lives for granted. Think about our train rides to and from work, our workout grind, and background study/work music, etc. Music isn't something we suddenly appreciate. Kids love music too and I would like to bring in ways to create music into my classroom.
Our pre-k curriculum is very fortunate to allow our teachers to have creative control. Each year varies depending on the student interest. One thing that's remained constant was the interest of music. Everyday, in dramatic play, our pre-kindergarten kiddos are hitting the rhythm sticks, queuing a beat on the missing keys keyboard, hitting the cymbals, and making some sort of music any way they can with the limited instruments we have.
We used to have a pre-k music program once a week, but due to budget constraints, it is no longer an option. My goal is to bring in and introduce our students to various types of musical instruments. Making music and singing is a great natural way for students to pick up language skills without the fear of making language mistakes.
Music is a form of artistic expression. How can our students know they are musically gifted if they are not exposed or given the proper environment to release their artistic side?
Imagine going a day without some sort of music. Television shows wouldn't be the same, radio would be boring, our lives would just be very dull. We need music in our lives and our students need it just as much as we do. There isn't an age threshold we pass where appreciation for music begins. Kids are musical and I want to give my students the proper environment to expose them to the musical world out there.
We received the following instruments.
- Remo Kids Percussion, Floor Tom, 10 Diameter with Mallet, Rain Forest Fabric
- First Note FN600 Firstnote Melody Harp
- Casio SA-76 44 Key Mini Keyboard, Orange
- Hohner Kids / Glockenspiel (Xylophone) with Songbook
- Remo RHYTHM CLUB, Bongos, 5/6 Diameters, Rhythm Kids Graphics
- Remo RHYTHM CLUB, Konga, 6 Diameter, 12 Height, Rhythm Kids Graphics
- kilofly Mini Band Musical Instruments Value Pack, Xylophone + 6 Rhythm Toys [2 Maracas, 2 Egg Shakers, 2 Wrist Bells, Blue]
- Hohner Kids Musical Toys S2203 Percussion Blocks
- Trophy Triangle 5 Inch